Thursday, June 24, 2010

Guide Dog Luke Protesting Personal Ride?

Luke, featured on the ABOUT SERVICE ANIMALS page, was born and trained at Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind. He is very large but is still on the lean side and weighs 85 pounds. He has very serious concentration when working and most people who know him accuse him of being anal with his work. He is totally laid back and in no rush to go anywhere. People who interact with Luke say that his expressions clearly express what he wants to say with no mistake.

A couple of days ago, a colleague came to my medical clinic to pick us up for a meeting. Knowing our ride was on the lot, we stepped out into the parkway to make sure she saw us. She saw us and honked her horn to signal me. When Luke saw who was there, he began side stepping away from me but still keeping his intent glare on my colleague. My colleague yells from her car, "Yes, that's right... You are riding with me and you have nowhere else to go. So get your bloody (blurb) in here." I proceed to the car with my partner grudgingly along side. As we get to the vehicle door, he tries one last attempt to suggest that we not go in the car by stepping away and tugging at his lead to persuade me to follow. I told him to get over it and get into the car. He gets in and sits up straight glaring at my colleague. She snaps "Alright, I will turn on the A/C just for you. So go lie down and stop staring at me." He settles down and waits for the A/C to turn on before sinking into sleep and snore!