Thursday, July 1, 2010

What's the Rush?


Luke has several spots in the home where he especially likes to lay. One of them is against the entry door. After observing, I noticed that he would choose this spot when everyone is in the home. From his position, he has full view of every bedroom door and living area.

My totally laid back partner was lying against the entry door one day, snoozing away. Brother, tending to leave for work at the last possible moment tries to open the door. Politely, brother asks Luke to get up so that he can get out. I am sitting 20 feet away at my work station and I hear Luke's tail thump quietly against the wall to the rhythmic beat of 4 whole notes. Thump, thump, thump....

Brother, with hand already on the door knob, asks Luke again, in a polite manner to get up. Realizing that Luke was paying no mind to him, brother gets impatient and says, "Luke, blurb)! I'm going to be late!" Get up? Then you can go back down again." Thump, thump, thump...

Finally, brother, frustrated that Luke was totally ignoring him, turns to me for help. "Hey, can you tell your dog to move so I can get out? I'm going to be late!" Thump, thump, thump...

Very quietly, knowing full well that Luke was purposely messing with brother, I called Luke to me. Ever so slowly, Luke rises from his spot and stretches out his full 35 inch length and 27 inch height, then slowly begins to step away. Brother is breathing impatiently already as he waits for the slow moving dog to clear the door. Just as he does, brother opens the door to say thanks only to be greeted with a look from Luke that said, "Whatever. I don't see what the rush is all about!" Brother, snaps, "Yeah, whatever, Luke"

Luke reaches me and lays his head on my lap. Then he looks up to me saying, " Did you like that, mum?" Tail wagging briskly and face leaning up to lick me tells me this dog just played my brother and was proud of himself!" Praises were certainly in order!